Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The prairies are alive....with the sound of music.....

Is anyone going to Rainbow Stage to see the Sound of Music? The tunes are perfect for shower-singing in your best opera voice........'the hills are alive.....with the sound of mu-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-sic!' Plus, who can't recite 'Do Rae Mi'? But, I won't indulge you in the fluff. To be honest, I usually don't like old musicals. The Wizard of Oz, for example, only serves the purpose of spoon-feeding us nostalgia, and watering down the intellect like we're an audience of 3-yr-olds. Maybe that's where the lady on Romper Room got her inspiration. The only thing that Dorothy and the 3 dopes had to offer was a snazzy pair of red shoes. The musicals that do deserve credit are ones like Abba, Phantom of the Opera and A Chorus Line. Now those musicals have a carefully crafted mixture of wit, humor and intelligence. But, back to the Sound of Music....... even though it's old, I'll make an exception and go see it. Yes, it's nostalgic. Yes, it's a bit kitschy. Yes, we're tired of seeing those curtains transformed into 8 yellow dresses. But the tunes are so familiar that you can't stop yourself from singing along. You can try to rebel, but eventually you too will be yodelling it up better than the Ricola commericals. And the last reason we'll go see it: everyone likes to watch another sucker have her life completely transformed by a husband and children. Welcome to the Desperate Housewives Club, Maria! :)


Speaking of music, I just called my piano student yesterday to ask what she got on her Grade 3 piano exam. I was ECSTATIC to hear that she scored 87%! Isn't that awesome?!?! My proudness is bubbling; bragging priviledges are in order at the next piano teacher's meeting. YAY for Sarah! She earned it!



We're heading out to Calgary this week for a family reunion, so I'll be off Blogger and Facebook for a bit. Hopefully, I can score some pictures from Ikea to decorate the walls of the new red, diningroom. Here's a pic of the before-and-after painting process, as it went 2 weeks ago. Hope everyone's having a great summer!!!!! Talk to you soon!

3 comments:

Monika said...

I would love to go to "The Sound of Music" if I lived in Winnipeg ... oh no I am starting to sing the songs now!
The dining room looks great so far, be sure to post a pic once it's all done!
Have a great trip out to Calgary and Banff. I'd love it if you guys came up here after too!
Moni

Shannon said...

hey girlie! I like reading your blog too! Thanks for adding me to your "sites I visit" list. Hope you're having a great time in Calgary!

Monika said...

Ok Michelle, I am getting tired of the prairies being alive with the sound of music! Are you going to update on here soon or have you given up on blogging? :)
Moni